Friday, January 29, 2010

No mere game of musical chairs

Bangkok Post

29/01/2010
Suchart: Seasoned



Suchart Chokechaiwattanakorn, the newly appointed Deputy Transport Minister from the Bhumjaithai Party, is a seasoned politician. In an interview with Amornrat Mahitthirook, he says giving out cabinet seats is not a game of political musical chairs.

How do you respond to criticisms that you only joined the cabinet because it was your turn to sit in the minister's chair? That is not true. The time is ripe. Politically, it is a matter of time and suitability. I am capable of being a minister. In fact, I am one of the most senior politicians right now. I have been an MP seven times. I entered politics in 1986.

You have been shortlisted for a cabinet post a number of times, but your name was always dropped at the last minute. What was going on then? I don't know. From the government of the Thai Rak Thai Party to that of the People Power Party, many senior politicians were suspended from politics and it should have been my turn to become a minister. But I did not make it, even though I was on the shortlist.
Even when I was a key figure pushing for Bhumjaithai to join forces with the Democrat Party to form the present coalition government, I was viewed as a potential minister. But again, I didn't make the cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment